The St Giles Yarners Rifle & Pistol Club was formed by members of St Giles Church, Gilsgate, Durham City as a miniature rifle club in 1912. Following the Boer War, which had demonstrated a lack of marksmanship, there was a government initiative to encourage skill in the use of rifles by providing instruction and practice in small-bore rifle shooting. The club's original range was in the Sands area of Durham City but later removed to the grounds of Durham Prison. In the early 1960's the current location at Hollow Drift, Green Lane , Old Elvet, Durham City became available. Following a devastating fire in 1992, which destroyed the old wooden building a new purpose built brick clubhouse was opened in 1994.
The following photograph and letter were recieved from the late Sir Peter Ustinov CBE, at the time he was Chancellor of Durham University.